I have always wanted Ryan to read the Hunger Games! I love the books so much that it was seriously painful watching the movie with him and knowing he hasn't read them. Ryan isn't a huge reader unless it's a self-help book like Rich Dad Poor Dad. However, we went on a ton of road trips this summer and I was able to talk him in to reading them out loud together. That was super fun for us and he really got in to them which made me happy. And yes, we did get through all 3 books this summer- happy day!
I watched the movie first (which was amazing) and was kicking myself the whole time for not reading the book first. I finally read it and LOVED it. I'm so impressed how well the movie stuck to the book, but it was nice having more background on everyone.
I was a little hesitant of this book because while I read all the Twilight books, I wasn't wanting the same type of thing. However, I was pleasantly surprised! I ended up loving the book. It does start off a bit slow.. so just get through the first 70 pages, then it gets really good. I can't wait for the movie to come out.
Back in elementary school I know I read this but I didn't remember anything about it. So I decided that since it's considered a classic to read it again. SO LAME. The book is fairly interesting (especially with all the socialistic ideas these days) but the ending is horrible. I'm not a fan, don't waste your time.
I heard this was supposed to be the sequel to The Giver, so I decided to read it to see if I could get some closer from the first book-nope. Still lame. Shame on me for being tricked twice into reading a book. So I deliberately didn't read the third because I'm not letting Lois get me three times. At least Gathering blue does have a better ending, I'll give it that.
This book probably had the biggest impact on me this summer. Her world is so different from the world I've ever known that it was hard to believe this really was her life. Jeannette Walls is an excellent writer, she had me glued to the pages the entire time. I do need to warn you that this book is definitely PG-13. There's some rough language and very adult content. I'm glad I read it though because it helps me realize that I am a very blessed person, and that not everyone had the same up-bringing I did.
I did read about 50 pages in to Eat, Pray, Love... but I'm sorry I don't get why there's all the hype. It drove me crazy and I finally just stopped. I can only take so much of the inner whinings of a trouble woman. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyone have any suggestions for my fall books?






READING!!!! I love it so much. I love The Giver! Although I agree with you, the ending is not very satisfying. Have you ever read the Srewtape Letters by C.S. Lewis? Or Mere Christianity? I swear, those books have been buzzing in my brain for the last 3 months and I'm a little obsessed. I LOVE C.S. Lewis and the amazing spiritual insight he had. I'm thinking about reading The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe next. Also, try reading a Charles Dickens book! I love his underlying messages too. He is one of my very favorites.
ReplyDeleteUmmm.. I hope our friendship can survive this... jk ;) But seriously though, The GIver moves my soul I love it so much, ending and all!
ReplyDelete